Since I am turning 18 on Wednesday, I decided to gather together a few lessons I have learned within the past year. Before you read these, I would just like to say thank you to the people who have supported me from the beginning. Also, a big thank you to the amazing people I have gotten to form strong relationships with over this year. You all make my heart happy and without you guys, I don’t know what I would do! Other than that, I hope you all have an amazing week!
17 Things I Learned the Year I Turned 17:
1. It’s okay not to have it all together all the time. In fact, no one expects that of you and if there is someone who does, they shouldn’t be in your life.
2. You can never have too many pictures, too many journal entries, too many concert tickets, too many Spotify playlists, or too many unwritten songs. All of this perfectly documents your life, don’t ever get rid of any of these.
3. Sometimes you just have to let go, and let God do his magic. There are only so many things you can control.
4. The friends that are forever accept you no matter what you do or how you are. There is not enough time in your life to spend it with friends that don’t value you or that don’t have an unconditional love for you.
5. When you want ice cream, go get ice cream. When you want to cry, cry. When you just need to take a break, do it. No one is stopping you, and if these actions can make you feel better… there shouldn’t be anyone or anything holding you back.
6. There are many things that don’t last forever, so take advantage of it in the time being and be thankful for it every second you can.
7. You fall in love when you least expect it and that, without doubt, makes it so much more beautiful and so much more real.
8. It is all in the mind. The world is so very inspiring, you just have to look at it in that perspective to view it that way.
9. A hug and a listener might just be all that you need. Try it sometime!
10. Stress comes from within you. Find the root of the source and remove it. Without the mental stress, achieving your goals with be painless and actually enjoyable.
11. Dancing till the ground shakes and singing till the glass breaks. Everyday, every night! It will always do the trick.
12. There is always time for a cheeseburger!
13. You should always walk into a new experience with an open heart and an open mind.
14. The bond you have with the people you call your “family,” whether they are connected by blood or not, can never be replaced. There is no greater love than familial love.
15. That there is so much love in the world and so many people to give your love to. The best places are where you feel the most loved.
16. That at this age, it is my responsibility to be irresponsible sometimes and just live!
17. You learn the most about yourself through other people.